Samstag, 11. Juni 2016

Review: The Sleeping Serpent: A Woman's Struggle to Break an Obsessive Bond With Her Yoga Master

The Sleeping Serpent: A Woman's Struggle to Break an Obsessive Bond With Her Yoga Master The Sleeping Serpent: A Woman's Struggle to Break an Obsessive Bond With Her Yoga Master by Luna Saint Claire
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I received this book as an ARC and because of that there will be no rating. Also, I stopped reading at 10%, which was around 40 pages.

Technically this book deserves five stars, because the writing is excellent and beautiful.
However, the writing style is not everything, even more: it can ruin the experience of diving into the book and becoming a part of it. And unfortunately this is the case. Unless you enjoy meticulous descriptions of characters and scenes - as I now know a chi cleansing ritual to the latter, with material and how to execute it.



One of my biggest difficulties was to identify the female main character. Of course I know that it's Luna from the blurb, but the book itself should make it pretty clear who is the lead and who isn't. Therefore the title "A woman's struggle..." feels wrong for me, too, because the reader accompanies several women who are pulled into Nico's gravity. And I'm not saying that we have different POV's in the classical sense. We have an ominous narrator who makes us follow around several women and perceive their feelings.

Then there is the battle of brands and names. It's never good to use to many brand names or to name things like operas and arias people might not know about. An author should never give the reader the feeling that she is uneducated and as to google every chapter. There was a scene when an aria was described, but right there the usual vast description that prolongs the story unnecessarily was missing.

So, this book was too tedious for me and with having so many issues at 10% I had to put it down. Fortunately the author was very gracious about my incapability to enjoy her book. I'm pretty sure I was too impatient. I simply expect books to take me on a ride on a roller-coaster and not a sunny Sunday ride.

BUT:


If you don't mind skipping pages (I hate it), the sex scene I read was excellent.



View all my reviews

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen